Striving for a mind like water

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Consequences exist - thanks to our actions!

Million things happen in one day. You meet new people, you run into your school mates, you do things you've planned and some things happen without your control. I believe that your current actions always bear consequences in the future. Even if the consequence doesn't affect you deeply and you don't notice it, it still exists.

One day a girl in our class was noting down all our mail addresses. Yesterday I got a postcard from her with a very thoughtful message. I love receiving mail - email and post alike, especially if it's personally addressed(Of course i'm not referring to bank statements, bills, etc). It was a pleasant surprise :)

That deed resulted in a positive outcome. The flipside also holds true. I now realised that I previously acted without foreseeing the possible consequences, especially concerning the things I tell others about myself or others. To my mind, all there is to know is that I don't mean harm to anyone and so anything I say or do shouldn't have negative repercussions. And if something I say hurts others, I expect them to be frank and point fingers at me. This is not and cannot always be the case. There lies a certain responsibility in my hands to think before I say things and if it's unnecessary, keep it to myself.

I have learnt it the hard way, but I have. There isn't reason for anyone to know about others who have confided in you, even if the person you are sharing it with is trustworthy. I've always been the person who most people tend to open up to, but at times while seeking advice or even for no obvious reason, I might have shared things with others. Some conflicts have been the product of this and I am happy to say that I have recognised the mistake and am making a conscious effort to change it for the better!

Upshot of this post is - when you do anything, always remember that whatever we say or however we act, everything bears consequences, whether it be pleasantly positive or nastily negative! Of course, sometimes it is a two-way street and the receiver should interpret your actions accordingly. All said and done, mindfulness of our own behaviour is the way to go!

6 comments:

  1. Pearl,

    i like this post. very true words. we always have the choice to choose our actions, but sadly we don't have choice to choose the consequences of our actions. sometimes i wish we had that. glad you've recognised the mistake and making efforts to correct it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sri - Thanks da :) You are right about the choice to act and not having the choice to subsequent consequences. With my firm indecisions, I don't like to have much choice at all...but I am slowly learning to pick one out of many, given the pros and cons..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doc, Are you fine. Looks like you are hurt either by somebody or you hurt yourself. Looking at your writing I reckon, whatever you are you are the best. Don't change for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sunshine :) I am fine. Don't worry. Being hurt is inherent for everyone. I just wish I haven't hurt anyone, but that's impossible given that we interact with a million people and our mind is dynamic and keeps shifting moods. I am satisfying my conscience saying I don't intentionally wish to hurt anyone. Thanks for that. I won't change for anyone, but will take what people advise me and try to change for the better.
    As an aside, some sentences are hurtful when they come out of someone who you love or respect very much and you don't expect them to say it. But then if you regain your thought ability and take a step back, you realise that they say it like that because they care. As an example of what I mean...In my case, I accept my mistake (whatever it maybe), but don't actively make a change in my behaviour to correct it and have been advised on that. At the time someone pointed it out, I was angry and didn't agree, but it may be true and I am just not seeing it that way. Just take everything others say with a smile and introspect...and as i said, change for the better. Always self-analyse. It's interesting really.

    I may have hurt so many people but I just don't know - if anyone I may have hurt happens to see this post, I want to say "I'm sorry and I wish I knew better" and I hope the best for everyone. When I say sorry, I do really mean it. I pray that I will be able to handle better the tough situations that I was in before.

    Anyway, this is becoming a post in itself. lol. Thanks for the comment again. I appreciate your concern. I am busy with clinical rounds and doing good :)Hope the same with you. Good luck for everything in general sunshine :) Smile away and let your rays meet me early in the morning. If you didn't know, my name means early morning..hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should be a writer what are you doing in medicine? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sunshine. But writing is my biggest weakness and fear. I have started a blog to overcome that fear! I am waiting for yours! tc

    ReplyDelete